Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Timeless Art

           “ Photography is an of observation. It has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them” Elliott Erwitt
           
            After my visit to Jackson gallery, it inspired me to work even harder to improve my art pieces. Not only to be able to put my work in an exhibition but, also to work on the technical part of my skills. It’s in the smallest details, that attracts a person to the photography.

            My favorite artist from my visit must be Elliot Erwitt. This artist has a fascinating sense of humor, that is portrayed in my opinion as bold, a work with character, and edgy. You don’t find a lot of photographers with this specific humor. Through his work you can get an idea about what type of a person he is. His character in general. Something that makes this artist stand out from others, is the emphasis of his humor in it. What I mean by that, if I want to relate it to myself, I believe I do have a sense of humor, but I never would’ve thought of putting it in my work. I maybe thought before that it would’ve been too risky or maybe my audience wouldn’t get it. But that inspired me to not limit myself anymore, and put limitations to my work, but to be more free in the way I work, that can show my true personality.

            Another main focus that also fascinated me, is the fact that the pieces that we saw had no editions to them. They are one of a time pieces, not replicated, or reprinted. Which makes his work of art so unique and timeless. Yes I understand that during his era they never used the concept of editions, but now that they do, and he still hasn’t printed more, makes me wonder that Mr.Erwitt, doesn’t care about the money as much as the art portrayed though his work. I love that about him.

            Going back to the quote, Elliott Erwitt has a unique way of seeing things. His work might look staged, but they are definitely not. The way he sees the specific moment that captures his eyes, creates an aesthetically elegant shot that is not negotiable to anyone’s eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote how inspired I was by Jackson as well. It is the smallest details that matter to me as well. It seems to make the difference between just anybody and then a great artist. Jackson also forced me to look at the technical and made me want to work harder on mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suhair- I think you misunderstood the lack of editioning in Erwitt's work. They aren't one of a kind- there are, in fact, many of them. By not editioning, he's not limiting how many there are out there or how many he might make in the future.

    ReplyDelete